Monday, October 8, 2012

MYST #2 Zoolander (2001)

Zoolander (2001) has many popular actors. Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, and Will Ferrell were the few that I knew as soon as I saw them. Ben Stiller not only stars in this movie but he also directed it. For some reason I could not stop thinking about how Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson played together in Night at the Museum (2006) directed by Shawn Levy. This movie was completely different than Night at the Museum, but the two actors together brought back memories of the other film. This movie was a little on the stupid side in my opinion, but it was funny at certain parts. Over all, I would give this movie 2 stars.


Most of this film had the same kind of shots and angles. The most used shot was definitely the medium shot. Most of the movie was shot from the waist up. Of course there were some other shots, but this was the one most used. Other shots and angles I noticed were full body, close ups, shoulder up shots, low angle shots (looking up at character) and shots walking with the characters. Whenever I see the shots walking with the characters, I look for the track in the background that the camera rolls on (like the video we saw in class). I also noticed that the lighting was always very strong. There was not very many times when there were low light scenes. Most scenes looked as if they had natural light and they were filmed outside. Finally, I noticed some composition in this film. In one scene in particular, Owen Wilson is on the right side of the screen in the foreground and Ben Stiller is in the background on the left side. The screen is very balanced, but I thought it was cool how I actually noticed composition in a film.

All in all, I thought Zoolander (2001) was a weird movie. Ben Stiller talked in such a strange way, that I felt like I was becoming less intelligent listening to him talk. Even though there were a few parts where I laughed, it was because there was a stupid joke or someone did something stupid. I think this movie is for people who enjoy dumb comedy films such as Blades of Glory (2007) or Balls of Fury (2007). 

No comments:

Post a Comment